This dish has been paleo modified. Usually this dish is made with left over pasta that is fried a little then covered with whisked eggs and lots of cheese, then sliced up and served for breakfast.
But I got my Spiraliser out and replaced the pasta for zoodles instead. No cheese added.
Write a review
- 2 medium or 1 large zucchini
- 6 organic free range eggs
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- 1/2 garlic clove
- Sea Salt
- Prepare the zucchini by washing, top and tailing them. I used my vegetable spiraliser. But I have used my julienne peeler. Hold the zucchini from the top and peel in a downwards motion. Peel until you start to see the seeds, then turn around and do the same on the other sides. Julienne/spiral all the flesh from the zucchini creating thin noodles. Place in a colander and toss zucchini with salt and let stand with a plate underneath for 5-10 mins then rinse well. Knead the zoodles to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Peel and squeeze all the juice out of the tomato. Set aside.
- Heat the ghee in a large fry pan and sauté the garlic, tomato, zoodles, salt and pepper until the water that comes out of the zucchini reduces in the pan.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Now, spread the zoodles evenly in the frypan and pour the whisked eggs over the top of the whole pan. Shake the pan. Using a spatula gently poke the eggs and wiggle so that the egg mixture is spread evenly. Doing this around the pan, makes the frittata extra fluffy. Once you see the sides setting and when you shake the frypan the mixture in the middle is half-cooked, place the frypan under a grill of 180 degrees (356 F) in the oven so that the top can crisp up and cook. About 10 minutes.
- When the frittata is browned on top and cooked through. Remove it from the oven and set on the stove top.
- Use a spatula on the sides of the pan, making sure the frittata is not sticking to the sides of the pan. (Separate the frittata from the sides of the pan)
- Place a large dinner plate on top of the pan with the top faced down into the frittata and flip the pan over in a way that the frittata turns out into the plate for serving. Using a quick motion flipping the pan upside down.
- Slice up and serve with extra seasoning if desired.
Gusto Paleo http://gustopaleo.com/