Why not have your pasta and eat it too!! This guilt free dish is to die for.
Use little or as much as you want to make a small or large batch of sauce and use more sweet potato if needed. Make sure once you peel potato you add it to sauce as it may brown. Use homemade tomato passata or shop brought.
If opting for sugar-free ingredients, try to buy no added sugar tomato paste and passata. Also depending on the sauce, store brought sauce will cook in less time.
- 2 tbls Oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 750mls tomato passata (sugar-free if on Whole30)
- 1 tbls tomato paste (sugar-free if on Whole30)
- 500 grms (1.1lbs) organic Beef mince
- 3 large sweet potato (skin peeled off)
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tbls dried Italian herbs
- 2 tbls parmesan cheese (avoid if on whole30)
- chopped basil
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add garlic and onion. Stir on medium low heat until soft.
- Add chopped carrot, celery and cook until veggies are soft.
- Break apart beef mince into pan and sprinkle salt on the beef, break up lumps of mince with a wooden spoon until it's all separated and beef is browned with the fat starting to rise to the top.
- Add herbs, pepper and tomato paste to beef and stir.
- Add tomato passata and bring to a boil. If sauce is thick add some water and cover the pot.
- Cook for 1-2 hours on medium low heat.
- With one hour left of the sauce to cook, use a vegetable spiraliser or a julienne peeler on the sweet potato so you can get strips of sweet potato like spaghetti.
- When sauce is ready add the sweet potato to the pot and cook until potato is tender, test after 30 minutes, it shouldn't take more then an hour, but check it does not over cook. Cover pot, Stirring and testing the potato often.
- Serve sweet potato and sauce on plates and sprinkle parmesan cheese and basil.( Avoid cheese if on Whole30 or strict paleo)
- The sauce alone can be made in large batches and frozen for later use.