If you haven’t tried this great rice alternative please give it a try! Cauliflower rice!
I remember as a child my mum would serve rice mixed with a bolognese sauce. So today I have used cauliflower rice instead.
If you have an Italian background, did your mum do the same?
Cauliflower Rice with Bolognese sauce
Write a review
- 2 tbls ghee/oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 750mls Tomato passata (sugar-free if on Whole30)
- 500 grms (1.1lbs) grass fed beef mince
- medium cauliflower chopped into florets and washed
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch dried Italian herbs
- 2 tbls Parmesan cheese to serve (optional(avoid if on whole30)
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add garlic and onion, stir on medium low heat until soft. Add chopped carrot, celery and cook until veggies are soft.
- Break apart beef mince into the pan and sprinkle salt on the beef, break up lumps of mince with a wooden spoon until all separated and beef is browned and the fat starts to rise to the top, from the beef.
- Add herbs and pepper to beef and stir.
- Add Tomato passata and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 1-2 hours on medium low heat covered until sauce thickens, stirring the sauce once in a while. (If you think it is too thick ad a little water)
- Meanwhile add cauliflower florets to a hand blender and pulse until you have rice grain size cauliflower pieces.(if you blend too much it will turn to mush)
- You can add the cauliflower raw to the sauce or I like to fry in some ghee/coconut oil covered for 5 minutes. Then top the sauce on top yum!
- When sauce looks done (there should be a nice layer of oils showing on top) Add the cauliflower rice to the saucepan, stir and cover for 5-10 minutes. Test the cauliflower if it is tender to your liking, then serve.
- Why not make a large batch of bolognese sauce and freeze it for future use.
- You could add the cauliflower rice raw or fry it first in a hot frypan, then you can top the bolognese on top.
Gusto Paleo http://gustopaleo.com/