This artichoke recipe would have to be the ultimate artichoke and paleo lovers dream. Usually made with breadcrumbs this dish has a subtly nutty flavour using almond meal.
How to trim an artichoke click here
How to eat an artichoke click here
Artichokes Roman Style
Write a review
- 4 large artichokes (see link on how to trim an artichoke) (leave more outer leaves for this recipe)
- 100 to 150 grams (0.220lbs to 0.330lbs) of almond meal
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint finely chopped
- 6 tbls of olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees (320F)
- Trim your artichokes leaving more outer leaves as shown in picture.
- Place them in a bowl of cold water with a little lemon juice as this will keep the green colour.
- In a separate bowl combine almond meal, garlic and mint.
- With your fingers ease open the artichokes and push the almond mixture through between the leaves.
- Arrange in a casserole dish side by side.
- Sprinkle sea salt, pepper and drizzle oil on each artichoke top.
- Add water to casserole dish, enough water to come half way up the artichokes and cook slowly in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Some water should be soaked up through the artichoke and almond should be crunchy on top.
- The artichokes are cooked when the leaves pull off easily.
- Make sure the tops don't burn!
Gusto Paleo http://gustopaleo.com/