Sweet Potato Shepards Pie may not be an Italian dish, but as a child I remember my mum cooking this for us every month. I admit to cooking this every week for my family, especially for my mince crazy husband and kids that just spoon it by the mouth full not knowing what I have secretly put inside it. This can be made the night before then heated in the oven before serving.
Sweet Potato Shepards Pie
Write a review
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 handful of spinach, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kilo (2.20 lbs) grass-fed beef mince
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (sugar-free)
- 2 tbls of coconut aminos
- 1 can of tomatoes peeled (400 grams) (sugar-free)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tbls ghee
- sea salt
- Enough Sweet potato to top in your desired dish (steamed, skin taken off and mashed) about 4 medium sized ones
- 1 tbls ghee
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (392F) (if you want to serve straight away). Heat ghee in pan and add onion, garlic, carrot, celery and spinach cook until soft.
- Add beef mince and sea salt and break it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon until all cooked through.
- Add coconut aminos, pepper, tomato paste and peeled tomato and broth if needed. Stir, cover and simmer on low until liquid has reduced.
- Mash sweet potato with ghee while still hot and add coconut cream(optional), mix and set aside.
- Once meat mixture is reduced put it into an ovenproof dish and top with the sweet potato.
- Place in preheated oven for 20 min, Or store in the fridge for the next day.
Gusto Paleo http://gustopaleo.com/