Ciambella: Meaning bun, rubber ring, doughnut, life ring, ring shaped cake.
The Ciambella cake has many varieties in any region of Italy.
Is the Ciambella cake something you grew up with?
My version is similar to a pound cake in texture although I have added some green apple slices.
I made a beautiful Lemon cream to dollop on top of your slice see it here – Lemon Cream
Paleo Apple Ciambella
Write a review
- 6 large free range eggs
- 3 cups of almond meal
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 2 large green apples peeled/cored and sliced into thin wedges about 1/4 inch thick, toss in juice of 1/2 a lemon to stop them from going brown.
- juice of 1 large lemon and zest
- 1/2 cup of honey warmed
- 3 tsp baking power
- 1 cup of light olive oil
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbls coconut sugar for topping
- ghee for greasing cake tin
- (1/2 tsp lemon essence and 1 tsp vanilla extract) optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 170 deg. (338F)
- Prepare a 24cm round ring cake tin. Grease it up well with ghee or oil, and line it with greaseproof baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add the eggs and beat them well.
- Add the baking powder and mix well into the eggs. The eggs will start to foam.
- Add the olive oil and mix well with a whisk.
- Add the lemon juice, zest and cinnamon and mix together well.
- Add the warmed honey and stir.
- Slowly add the almond meal and coconut flour and mix until the flour is totally absorbed into the liquids.(You can stir in the lemon essence and/or vanilla extract now)
- Assemble the cake quickly as the coconut flour will thicken the batter if left too long.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan and make sure that it is evenly distributed. Add a row of apple slices on the surface of the batter to cover the entire batter in an overlapping pattern.
- Add the remaining batter to the pan and level it.
- Now place remaining apple slices on top in an overlapping pattern.
- Sprinkle coconut sugar over the entire top of the Ciambella.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes rotating often so it cooks evenly, or until it passes the toothpick test. The crust may become dark due to the honey.
- Add extra flavour by mixing 1 tsp vanilla bean extract into the batter (optional)
- You can also add 1/2 tsp of a really good quality of lemon essence to give it a real nice lemon flavour. (optional) or you could add more zest.
- Serve with my Lemon Cream recipe.
Gusto Paleo http://gustopaleo.com/