When I was growing up nearly every dinner and weekend lunch included a nice bowl of Italian salad using fresh ingredients from my fathers garden.
This salad was very popular with my school friends, one of them used to eat it before anything else, which my farther thought was very strange as in his opinion salad is for eating at the end of dinner or along side the meat dish.
To this day when Marianne and I have guests over we usually serve this recipe and friends love it and ask how we make it. They are surprised how simple it is and that we didn’t use supermarket salad dressing.
We used to also eat the following recipe with “Australian Salad” too which was really just using Iceberg lettuce, when we were children it was the only readily available salad you could purchase from the supermarket. As young children we probably preferred it as it didn’t have any chance of being bitter.
- A bowl of washed salad leaves of your choosing eg Endive, Chicory, Radicchio, baby spinach etc
- Pinch of good quality sea salt
- A tablespoon or 2 of Gluten free Red or White Wine Vinegar
- A tablespoon or 2 of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Tear up or chop washed salad leaves roughly and place in a salad bowl.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top of salad.
- Splash vinegar on top of salad next.
- Then drizzle extra virgin olive oil.
- Using washed clean hands or salad tongs mix the salad thoroughly.
- Your simple, delicious Italian salad is ready to serve.