Once you have tried this traditional mashed potato dish you will never have plain mashed potatoes again!!!
There are a couple of ways to add the onions to the mash potato, in this recipe I have topped them on top. Alternatively you could sauté the oil and onion in a large frypan until soft then mix through the mashed potato in the pan and fry until the bottom of the potato is crispy.
- 6 large white potatoes
- 2 large red or white onions
- 1 or 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- You can chop the potatoes into cubes to speed up the boiling process or just bring the whole potatoes to boil in salted water with the skin on until soft.
- Once they are cooked through drain and let them warm.
- Peel the skin off the potatoes once warm, and mash the potatoes into a large plate.
- Saute the onion in the oil until onion is soft and seasoned well.
- You could pour the onions and oil on top of the mashed potatoes at this point or mix the mashed potato through the onions in the fry pan until the potato base is crispy.
- Flip over onto a flat plate and serve.