You could top each eggplant with a tomato sauce that has been cooked with garlic, onion and herbs for 15 minutes.
Melenzane Ripiene - Stuffed Eggplant
Write a review
- 2 large black eggplants
- 2 cups of left over tomato passata sugar free (optional)
- 250g of grass fed beef mince
- 4 tbls almond meal
- 3 tbls water
- bunch of parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan (optional) avoid if on Whole30
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- sea salt
- oil to grease an ovenproof dish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (356F)
- Bring a large saucepan with salty water to boil.
- Cut off the stem of the two eggplants. Cut the eggplants length ways in half.
- Place a large bowl of cold icy water ready to refresh the eggplants once out of the boiling water.
- Place eggplant halves into boiling water and boil for 5 mins after 5 mins poke the sides with a spoon, if they feel they have softened a little remove ( if you feel they haven't softened keep for another few minutes) and refresh in the cold water.
- Once cool enough to touch gently squeeze eggplant to remove excess water. You want them to keep their shape,
- With a spoon scoop out as much of the flesh as you can making sure to keep a layer around the skin to keep the shape. Chop the pulp finely.
- In a small bowl mix the almond meal and water to make a thick paste.
- Place the pulp in a large bowl together with the almond meal, egg, garlic, parsley, parmesan (optional), beef mince and sea salt and mix with your hands, if you feel the filling is too soft add more almond meal mixed with water. You could fry a little in a small frypan to test the seasoning.
- Fill each shell with the stuffing as evenly as possible.
- Place them on a greased ovenproof dish skinside down and top each eggplant with the tomato sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins, after 20-30 minutes carefully turn each eggplant over so the top can cook and become crisp. Cook for a further 30 mins.
Gusto Paleo https://gustopaleo.com/