Eggplant is another one of my favourite vegetables to cook. This Grilled Eggplant is addictive and taste great on it’s own or accompanying a meat dish.
I used a mandolin to slice these eggplants today, so I could get a uniform slice.
It is ideal to slice each eggplant and lay the slices in a colander, sprinkle salt on each layer and place a plate down on top and add a lot of weight (eg pile lots of plates or a heavy object) on top for 10 mins to let any bitter juices out of the slices. Then you can use the eggplant straight away.
- 2 large eggplants sliced (use as many as you would like)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbls oregano
- sea salt
- Place oil, oregano and salt in a shallow dish you are going to coat the cooked eggplant in this oil and transfer to a container.
- Use a grill pan so you can get the pattern as shown.
- Place as much eggplant as you can on the pan without overlapping.
- My pan has a lid which I used to press the eggplants down.
- Wait a couple of minutes until you move their position to make a checked pattern.
- Turn around and follow same steps.
- Once both sides are cooked coat each side quickly in the oil and place in container you want to store them in.
- Voila! enjoy for a few days